Tuesday 4 December 2018

2 Years in NYC: Part Two

Hi!

Welcome back to the second part of my series on my time living in the greatest city in the world (in my opinion), New York City.
In this section I’m gonna focus more on securing an internship/work during your time on the j1 Graduate visa and supporting yourself while there.

With my particular sponsor, CIEE, you have 90 days to secure an internship, with an emphasis on the fact that it must be an internship and not a “job”. This internship must be related to your field of study or they would cancel your visa. Whether or not they are actually able to do that I’m not sure but the threat is enough to scare you. The trouble with securing an internship in the US, is that many of them are unpaid which makes living in New York almost impossible to do which is another reason I receommended having quite a bit of money saved before leaving home. If this is not an option for you then what many people end up doing is getting a part time job in a bar or restaurant to help support them financially throughout their time there.

Now TECHNICALLY you’re not supposed to get a job that is unapproved by your sponsor, however I know from personal experience and from the people I met while in New York that it is possible to get a part time job as long as you have a valid work visa and your sponsors don’t find out about your second job. I just personally think it’s impossible to work an unpaid internship in New York and have no other form of income, but whether or not you decide to get a bar job is compleftely up to you. I’d recommend using sites such as LinkedIn, Glassdoor, Indeed and Go Abroad.com to
help narrow down your search for an internship but just keep in mind you’ll need to have patience. You might go on ten interviews and only hear back from one, but if you keep with it eventually something will work out for you.

As for my actual internship, after months of going on interviews and being told that a j1 visa was not favorable to hire from an employers point of view, I ended up getting a job at the Emerald Isle Immigration Center (Website here) in Woodside, Queens. It tied into my degree nicely as I had studied English and Irish and learned a lot about Irish immigration into the US at a very interesting time in US Political history, Trump’s Presidency. I’ll be honest it wasn’t an easy job to get and took a lot of perseverance and persuasion on my part to prove to them that I would be an asset to them considering my areas of study in college. That was definitely a hard time for me as I ended up having to spend the majority of my time working. I worked there 3 days a week, unpaid unfortunately, and so had to spend most of the rest of my time working in an Irish bar in midtown to cover my cost of living. However, that’s not to say you can’t make time to have fun because you definitely can if you’re organized enough, I just wasn’t LOL, but I really loved my bar job and made some of the best friends I’ve ever had there.

So that pretty much covers a lot of the more boring stuff behind going on the graduate visa. I’ll be covering tourist attractions, things to do and see, my favorite places and everything I’d recommend doing while over there in my next part that I’m most excited for! :)

Any questions just comment or tweet me @michelley_mc.

All my love
Michelle x




No comments:

Post a Comment

Theme created by PIXEL HAZE DESIGNS